Bill:

> Eventually the browser will drop the connection, and then if
> the Servlet
> tries to write anything, then an IOException will be thrown.  However
> allowing the following code on your server will DoS:
>   while(true) {
>      Thread.Sleep(1000);
>   }

This is precisely my question:  Is there a way to set a
timeout on a thread and kill it if it takes that amount of time?

> The thread allocation is pretty similar to Apache/httpd.

The Apache server source code has a hard thread limit defined
in the source code.  Does Tomcat?

Thanks,
        Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, JAMM Consulting, (972)612-6056, www.JAMMConsulting.com
FREE! Valuable info on how your business can reduce operating costs by