Correct - the only place the Filter is mentioned is in the
web.xml for the "/" Context and the .class file is in that
Context.

If it further confirms your understanding, I should mention
that in the beginning I *did* have a copy of the Filter under
"/hal" (for initial testing of the Filter) and that caused
an infinite loop for redirections!  The first request to "/"
got redirected to "/hal" which then got redirected to "/hal"
etc. etc.

Chris