From: Noah [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: 26.07.2004 18:14
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Win2kSP4, Apache-2.0.49 + Tomcat-5.0.27 + mod_jk2-2.0.43 -
Memory Reference Error

No luck with eliminating the error so far (increasing JVM memory and
the configuration changes I've tried didn't work). Any more ideas?

Thanks,
    Noah

Old message:
------------------
Thanks, I've set those options and it at least hasn't broken anything... I
won't
be able to tell if it has helped until normal traffic resumes on Monday
however.

I'm not sure I can give a step by step explanation of what we did to setup
the connection... it involved a lot reconfiguring, finding information about
errors and what caused them, and finding the workarounds. Maybe you
could start a new thread with some information from your logs and configs,
I may be able to recognize some problems that we ran into. I'll give a basic
account of what we have done anyway, as best as my memory serves, in
case something might help you:

- We already had Apache and Tomcat installed, it had been forwarding
  using mod_proxy.
- Uncommented the correct connector in server.xml. Later we changed
  the default options to be what currently appears (you can view this
  in the original message). Still using the default port (8009).
- Configured mod_jk2 settings in httpd.conf. Originally we were setting
  all configuration of jk2 there. Now, we have moved all configuration
  into workers2.properties. At the time that I sent the mail, we were
  setting URI info in httpd.conf. I have now also moved that into
  workers2.properties. Additionally, I have changed the configuration
  so that URI's are mapped to the load balancing group instead of
  directly to a worker, and the worker is mapped to the load balancer.
  I'll paste the relevant section in below.
- Configured workers2.properties, as described above and included in
  the original post. The status worker is really useful for looking at
  your configuration to try to find problems, by the way.
- Note, we have made no changes in jk2.properties. It is effectively
  empty, thus using all of the default settings.

I can't think of anything else. I'll post a followup on Monday if either of
the changes (increasing memory and reconfiguring to use the lb: group)
end up causing some difference in behavior.

- Noah

Updated Config:

httpd.conf:
----------------------
Win32DisableAcceptEx

<IfDefine SSL>
  <VirtualHost 192.168.1.1:443>
      ServerName example.server.com

      <Directory />
          Options FollowSymLinks
          AllowOverride none
      </Directory>

      SSLEngine on
      SSLCertificateFile conf/ssl.crt/entrustexampleserver.crt
      SSLCertificateChainFile conf/ssl.crt/entrustchaincert.crt
      SSLCertificateKeyFile conf/ssl.key/example_server_com.key

      <IfModule mod_jk2.c>
          <Location "/jkstatus">
              Order Deny,Allow
              Deny from all
              Allow from 192.168.1.1
          </Location>
          <Location "/app/*">
              Redirect permanent /app/login.jsp
https://example.server.com/index.html
          </Location>
      </IfModule>

  </VirtualHost>
</IfDefine>

workers2.properties:
----------------------
[status:]
debug=0
disabled=0

[ajp13:localhost:8009]
group=lb:lb
channel=channel.socket:localhost:8009

[channel.socket:localhost:8009]
port=8009
host=127.0.0.1
ver=0
debug=0
disabled=0
nodelay=0
timeout=60
graceful=0
keepalive=0

[uri:/exampleApp/*]
group=lb:lb

[uri:/jkstatus]
group=status:

>I did a search on google and this is what I found...
>open catalina.bat or the equivalent file.
>set JAVA_OPTS to the desired value.
>ex: set JAVA_OPTS=-Xms128 -Xmx128
>
>htp  (Hope This Helps)
>
>tp

Apache to >>forward jsp request to Tomcat.  Can you provide me with a
step by step >>instructions as to what you did?

>>Thanks!
>>
>>tp

ajp13.service() ajpGetReply recoverable error 3
>>>  [Wed Jul 21 10:07:21 2004] (error ) [jk_worker_ajp13.c (546)]
ajp13.service() ajpGetReply recoverable error 3
>>>  [Wed Jul 21 10:07:21 2004] (error ) [jk_worker_ajp13.c (648)]
ajp13.service() Error  forwarding ajp13:localhost:8009 1 0
>>>  [Wed Jul 21 10:07:21 2004] (error ) [mod_jk2.c (752)]
mod_jk2.handler() Error connecting to tomcat 3, status 200

<snip>