I'm looking for some advice about how to handle the following situation.

(1) Apache 2.x in front of Tomcat 5.x
(2) Deploy new web application. Bunch of servlets, bunch of jsps, bunch of static content (mainly js, css).
(3) Many users use the application, during which time their browsers cache lots of static content
(4) We do a major version upgrade of the webapp, including (almost) all new static content, but URLs stay the same (to alleviate bookmark-maintenance requirements).

The problem arises when the browsers continue to use their cached version of the static content. Now, the browsers eventually get updated, but immediately after deployment there are huge numbers of graphical and functional (js files) problems. It seems like behavior in this area is widely different amongst browsers and/or their settings.

I have only come up with the following option:

(1) Play with URLs.  New deployments can be deployed under
    a different url domain like:
        http://www.server.com/myapp/v1/main.css
        http://www.server.com/myapp/v2/main.css
    This would force browsers to get new content since the
    content appears as totally new content to the browser.

Aside from disabling static content caching, are there any other options out there?

Much thanks for the help!
justin

______________________________________________ Justin Ruthenbeck Lead Software Engineer, NextEngine Inc. justinr - AT - nextengine DOT com Confidential. See: http://www.nextengine.com/confidentiality.php ______________________________________________