I'm working on a virtual learning environment.  It's essentially one
huge webapp.  We don't want to manage files on the physical filestore;
instead, we want to use our own virtual filestore, for reasons too zany
to go into.

Is there a way of setting eg. an appBase or a docBase so that it points,
not to filestore, but to a URI?  If so, we can add an appropriate
handler to the URIs so that we manage vfs:... and everything Just Works.

Failing that, is there another appropriate mechanism for intercepting
filestore access from Tomcat and redirecting it to our own code?

A bit of an open question, I know.  The Tomcat 4 documentation appears
to indicate that a Host's appBase is a URL but, on trying it with
5.0.28, file: URLs are not recognised, let alone anything more
outlandish.

All help gratefully received!

                - Peter
--
Peter Crowther, Director, Melandra Limited
John Dalton House, 121 Deansgate, Manchester M3 2AB