After a few years of trying on and off I've finally managed to make a
servlet work in Tomcat (4.1).

I had to add:
  <servlet>
    <servlet-name>StudioSearch</servlet-name>
    <servlet-class>StudioSearch</servlet-class>
  </servlet>
  <servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-name>invoker</servlet-name>
    <url-pattern>/servlet/*</url-pattern>
  </servlet-mapping>
to webapps/ROOT/WEB-INF/web.xml. (No one had ever said before about the
servlet-mapping directive.). I'll install it in a better location when
its working, I'm just using the root webapp for debugging.

So now I need to try and make my servlet work. Obviously there are lots
of bugs in the Java code itself but I wonder if anyone could suggest a
good way of testing servlet code? ATM, I have to compile the servlet,
copy it to the classes directory, restart Tomcat (which takes several
minutes) and read the Tomcat logs to find out whats gone wrong!
Nightmare! <:-o

How do people who know what they're doing go about debugging servlets?

Thanks in advance,
Richard
--
  Richard Lewis