Doug,
This is what I did. I stopped Apache; I don't that made any difference. I was the application on port 8080 anyways. I put a static HTML page in the same directory as the image (and tried it from the ROOT directory as well). When I access the html (http://localhost:8080/image/test.html or http://localhost:8080/test.html), the request is directed to the servlet and I see the request coming through the break point in my java code. So very clearly, even request for static resource is being directed to the servlet.
I think your suspicion something is wrong with config is correct. Do you want me to send you the web.xml so you could see what is wrong with the config.
I have not done any config for the static resource at all; is there any config I need to do?
Thanks...Ram

Parsons Technical Services wrote:

Are the images served out ok on other pages?

Images are not being served at all in any page.

This makes me think you have a configuration issue that is pointing all content to your servlet other than *.jsp.

Have you tried running Tomcat without Apache? And is there a reason you need Apache?

If you haven't disabled it or after reenabling it try your app on http://localhost:8080

If it still will not serve the pictures post your config files for Tomcat. Something is sending all the request for the images to your servlet or at least not allowing them to make it to the proper folder.

As a test can you serve out a static page from the same folder the gif is in?

In fact, I brought up the Tomcat index.jsp locally when only the webserver is running (without connection to the internet) and even that doesn't display the images.

Stick a JSP file in the image folder along with a html page and see if they will serve. If they will, but the image will not you have a config issue.

I haven't used JSPs in a while so I am not able to do this at this time

When you say it is making the round trip, please explain what or how you know this.

I am debugging the servlet and the connected java application. When the gif is included in the page, the process displays the page and comes right back to my break-point in the java code. When I remove the gif, the page waits for a user to respond (the way one would expect Http to behave) and comes back to my code only when I click on one of the buttons on the page.

I am taking this to mean the code of your servlet.

yes. the java code the servlet is invoking.

Is it possible that when you see the round trip, you are actually seeing the browser request for the image?

It is possible. Actually, that is what is may be happening. How can I make the browser not come to the servlet but go and pick up the file from the directory. I am using only one servlet (a single URL) and I route the process through request attribute in the HTTP request. I have done that with JBoss in the past and it worked fine. In this application, I am not using any app server.

I think there is a config in Apache to direct where the static resources are picked up from. I am not able to figure out where this configuration should be done for Tomcat. Or maybe it is not a configuration issue at all.

As I do not run Apache, I am lost when it comes to it's config files. But for now let's talk directly to Tomcat to take this out of the picture.

One last comment, you asked about serving static content in Tomcat, understand that the static items in the app are served from the same place as the jsps or subfolders. If you want several apps to use a common source of static content, such as the images, this is a whole different matter.

But for now lets put out one fire at a time.

Doug