of course you can ... look up http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/dbcp/ and
commons-pool or your database's driver may even have an implementation that
supports pooling that you can instantiate directly with the javax.sql or
java.sql api.

cron(30s) -->
  socket call -->
    your app (ServerSocket) -->
      spawn some new handler thread
        call database (dbcp e.g) -->
        get reply
        call client via xmlrpc
        get reply
        call database
      delete handler thread or put back into a pool
      ServerSocket wait