I think this depends largely on the type of connection you are making.  If you
are using the OCI driver (type 2), I believe you need the oracle client
installed on the web application machine.

If you are using the thin driver (type 4), I don't think you need the client
software to be installed.

Here are some samples from the oracle site.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/sample_code/tech/java/sqlj_jdbc/files/9i_jdbc/index.html

BTW, I think that if you use the oracle OCI connection pool classes you have to
use the type 2 driver (OCI driver).

Derrick

<ContactInfo>
  <Name>Derrick Koes</Name>
  <Title>Senior Software Engineer</Title>
  <Company name="SkillSoft"
    url="http://www.skillsoft.com"/>
  <AIM>codeauthor2001</AIM>
  <Email>[EMAIL PROTECTED]</Email>
  <Phone>(603) 821-3260</Phone>
  <Cell>(603) 305-1753</Cell>
  <Fax/>
  <Quote attributedTo="Yoda">No, try not, do
    or do not, there is no try.</Quote>
</ContactInfo>