Jason,

Thanks for the detail on the installation. I mentioned in a separate
response within this thread that once JAVA_HOME was corrected (referencing
the parent of the 1.5 JDK and not the public or private JRE) then the
startup.bat method worked fine in the default installation directory the
binary installer started (C:\Program Files\Apache Software
Foundation\Tomcat 5.5...).

So it appears Tomcat will start up with the correct JAVA_HOME (JDK, not
JRE.) However, I still cannot run the Installer successfully, nor will the
service.bat install tomcat as a service. Some lingering Windows execution
and/or security issues is probably the best guess at this point. I know SP2
for Windows XP made extensive changes, along with the stream of security
patches since then.

If anyone uncovers such a security issue or the fix, please post, and I'll
do the same if I discover it.

I'd like to get the service portion ironed out, but in the meantime I can
at least get Tomcat started for some development and evaluation.

Thx,
Steve