John,

Possibly the following will help as it is listed in the 5.5 JDBC DataSource
html page in the User guide:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html

"Please note that JNDI resource configuration has changed somewhat between
Tomcat 5.0.x and Tomcat 5.5.x. You will most likely need to modify your JNDI
resource configurations to match the syntax in the example below in order to
make them work in Tomcat 5.5.x"

With that said you can replace your specified parameters with the following
from the mysql section of that page.

  <Resource name="jdbc/TestDB" auth="Container" type="javax.sql.DataSource"
               maxActive="100" maxIdle="30" maxWait="10000"
               username="javauser" password="javadude"
driverClassName="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
               url="jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/javatest?autoReconnect=true"/>

Hope this helps

- andy

John Cherouvim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hello

I've been trying to setup a mysql connection pool using JNDI as shown in
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.html
But no luck.

I never get to see the datasource registered Tomcat Administration Tool.
I've included in server.xml the following lines somewhere inside the
..

factory
org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory

driverClassName
com.mysql.jdbc.Driver

url
jdbc:mysql://localhost:3306/dea?autoReconnect=true

username myusername

password mypassword

maxActive 20

maxIdle 10

maxWait 40

I have Tomcat/5.0.28

And the following files in common\lib
mysql-connector-java-3.1.10-bin.jar
commons-collections-3.1.jar
commons-dbcp-1.2.1.jar
commons-pool-1.2.jar
*

*What I get in tomcat\logs\stdout.log is:
NotifyUtil::java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:295)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:161)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:148)
at sun.net.NetworkClient.doConnect(NetworkClient.java:139)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:366)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.openServer(HttpClient.java:582)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.(HttpClient.java:292)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.(HttpClient.java:253)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:321)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:306)
at sun.net.www.http.HttpClient.New(HttpClient.java:301)
at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.plainConnect(HttpURLConnection.java:469)
at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.connect(HttpURLConnection.java:460)
at
sun.net.www.protocol.http.HttpURLConnection.getOutputStream(HttpURLConnection.java:516)
at
org.netbeans.modules.web.monitor.server.NotifyUtil$RecordSender.run(NotifyUtil.java:237)

What did I miss? I've even tried setting up the JNDI in the
conf\Catalina\localhost\myapp.xml
And also tried instead of

I also tried all that with the org.gjt.mm.mysql.Driver

Regards,
I.