"Mark" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Hi Mark,
> In my case servlet generates an output, so no JSP for now...
> Can I do it using filters? Or define and store user's prefs with
> encoding outside of tomcat and  in the session and use if it's exists
> in the session?

Other Mark's answer was a little incomplete.  If your Servlet uses
response.getWriter, then the spec requires that you get a charset on the
Response headers.  If your Servlet doesn't specify a charset in the
response.setContentType, then a Filter something like:

   public void doFilter(ServletRequest request, ServletResponse response,
FilterChain chain)
      throws ServletException, IOException {
        if(request instanceof HttpServletRequest) {
            HttpServletRequest hreq = (HttpServletRequest)request;
            HttpSession session = hreq.getSession();
            String enc = (String)session.getAttribute(MY_ENC_ATTR_NAME);
            if(enc == null) {
                 enc = getCharSetForUser(hreq); // Your lookup from DB
function
                 if(enc != null) {
                     session.setAttribute(MY_ENC_ATTR_NAME, enc);
                 }
            }
            if(enc != null) {
                response.setCharacterEncoding(enc);