I am trying to run tomcat 4 beta 4 on two different systems and am unable to
do so on either of them

I would really appreciate if I could get some advice on this.

In both cases no change has been made to the server.xml file

The first system is a Win 98 system with the following configuration

Autoexec.bat:

PATH C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND;D:\jdk1.3\bin;
SET TOMCAT_HOME=c:\tc4b4
SET JAVA_HOME=D:\jdk1.3
SET CLASSPATH=.

shell environment memory has been set via the dos window shortcut to 4096

On Running the startup.bat file
1) the following message appears
        Using CLASSPATH: ..\bin\bootstrap.jar;D:\jdk1.3 \lib\tools.jar

2) a 2nd Dos Window opens with the following message
        Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
        Apache Tomcat/4.0-b4
        Starting service Tomcat-Apache
        Apache Tomcat/4.0-b4

Now when I try to access the following URL

        http://localhost:8080/

it is inaccessible

The 2nd system is a Windows NT Workstation 4 SP 3 with the following
configuration:

COMPUTERNAME=FW
ComSpec=D:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe
HOMEDRIVE=D:
HOMEPATH=\
JAVA_HOME=D:\jdk1.3
LOGONSERVER=\\FW
NUMBER_OF_PROCESSORS=1
OS=Windows_NT
Os2LibPath=D:\WINNT\system32\os2\dll;
Path=D:\WINNT\system32;D:\WINNT; D:\jdk1.3\bin
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH
PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE=x86
PROCESSOR_IDENTIFIER=x86 Family 5 Model 4 Stepping 4, GenuineIntel
PROCESSOR_LEVEL=5
PROCESSOR_REVISION=0404
PROMPT=$P$G
SystemDrive=D:
SystemRoot=D:\WINNT
TEMP=D:\TEMP
TMP=D:\TEMP
TOMCAT_HOME=D:\tc4b4
USERDOMAIN=FW
USERNAME=Administrator
USERPROFILE=D:\WINNT\Profiles\Administrator.002
windir=D:\WINNT

D:\>path
PATH=D:\WINNT\system32;D:\WINNT; D:\jdk1.3\bin

On Running the startup.bat file
1) the following message appears
        Using CLASSPATH: ..\bin\bootstrap.jar;D:\jdk1.3 \lib\tools.jar

2) a 2nd Dos Window opens with the following message
        Starting service Tomcat-Standalone
        Apache Tomcat/4.0-b4
        Starting service Tomcat-Apache
        Apache Tomcat/4.0-b4

Now when I try to access the following URL

        http://localhost:8080/

it is inaccessible

                looking forward to a solution
                                        Anwar