Hi,

1) I don't remember having to download JAXP myself for tomcat
installation.  Doesn't tomcat come with and use Xerces internally?

2) You can get JAXP binaries, including xalan.jar, by download the
Java XML Pack (fall '01 is tested with tomcat 4.0.1, I don't know
about the latest, winter '01, but it should work):
http://java.sun.com/xml/downloads/javaxmlpack.html

3) PS files are PostScript.  It's text with all kinds of markup,
you probably downloaded some documentation instead of the binaries.

Good luck,

Yoav