On Wed, 27 Feb 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 09:24:03 +0100
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> To: Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Subject: Re: Sense of realm element in login-config
>

> Hi,
>
> I do understand that it is shown the browser, but that is about all.

Yes, that *is* all it is used for.  The servlet container doesn't use it
for anything else.

> But my
> problem is that from within the servlet container I cannot do anything with
> it.
> For example, I cannot retrieve it and pass it on to the authentication
> module, for example JDBCRealm.

That is correct.  The assumption is that your application's security will
be based on the roles associated with the authenticated users.  If you
tied it to the realm element from the <login-config>, you'd be requiring
the use of BASIC or DIGEST authentication, because that is the only place
the pop-up window is displayed on the browser.

> Yes, you can but then you have to manipulate
> the web.xml file yourself? Is this really the case?

Sure, you have to edit web.xml (either manually or using an IDE) for this
purpose, or for lots of other things.

> Regards,
>
> --  Dirk

Craig