Performance isn't so important as future-proofing - I don't want to have
to re-write the db interface when struts drops it's connection pool
provision, for example.

I believe that mm.mysql does support pooling, although I take your point
that others may not.  I can't see us moving away from MySQL at the
moment, so that's fine.

My use of the database is really quite simple, so I'm sure that commons
would be fine, but at the moment I don't know where to start integrating
it with my Struts project.  Does the container manage the pool (i.e.
some server.xml configuration needed)? Or do I instantiate and manage
the pool from within my application, and if so, how?

Regards,

   Ric Searle
   Web Application Developer
   --