Ralph,

Thanks for writing. We've been able to reproduce the situation on
machines which were directly connected to the same LAN on which the
servers are located (and therefore no proxy was involved), and we tried
clearing browser caches on these machines. The problem persisted.

When the problem occurs, some .JSP files will compile and run fine,
others won't. So we know Apache is hitting Tomcat and Tomcat is running
because some files work and some don't. It'll just change - as I said
before, we'll do the restart thing, or even reboot the whole box, and
before, FOO.JSP wouldn't work but BAR.JSP would, and after FOO.JSP will
work and BAR.JSP won't. But a .JSP file works each time, confirming that
we are hitting Apache and Apache is hitting Tomcat.

David Bank
NC CATS Project Manager
Accountability Services - Testing
NC Department of Public Instruction
301  Wilmington Street
Raleigh, NC  27601
919-807-3796

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 04/10/02 03:00AM >>>
Have you verified if your apache got hit, with the request
that caused a 'file not found'? (We have seen in the past
some obscure errors that turned out to be caching problems
of browsers and proxy caches where the server wasn't hit at
all)

If your apache got hit, did the request hit tomcat ?

If it hit tomcat can you find any error message that may
correspond to the failure?
(in the tomcat or the apache logs)