Fabian:
>>something not directly mentioned in the howtos for deploying a servlet:
>>you have to update the TOMCAT_HOME/conf/server.xml file for installing
>>your application in the "web-app"-directory. You have to add an entry like
>>      <Context path="/seating" docBase="seating"
>>       debug="0" reloadable="true"/>
>>in server.xml if you have your servlet in a folder named
>>TOMCAT_HOME/web-app/seating/WEB-INF/classes

That was the first thing I did, actually.  No variations on that theme seem
to be making any difference, and it doesn't matter whether it's under the
Tomcat-Standalone or Tomcat-Apache section....

Jeff:

>>Under what context path is your servlet deployed? The
>>context path is typically the name of the directory
>>under $TOMCAT_HOME/webapps in which your app resides.

It's deployed where the examples are, and where the manager is.

The specific path is

<drive>:\Tomcat\webapps\MySeatMap\

with the class files in <drive>:\Tomcat\webapps\MySeatMap\WEB-INF\classes

I've tried permuting this almost to exhaustion.  I've been reading the
example setups, and I can't even figure out how the HelloWorldExample class
gets called.  Something to do with <filter> tags, but I can't make out
what's happening.

And to repeat: I know the servlet is running, because the manager and the
logs confirm it.

For grins and giggles, here's the web.xml file.

<!DOCTYPE web-app
    "http://java.sun.com/dtd/web-app_2_3.dtd";>

<web-app>
        <servlet>
        <servlet-name>
            MySeatMap
        </servlet-name>
        <servlet-class>
            /MySeatMap
        </servlet-class>
        </servlet>
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>
            MySeatMap
        </servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>
            /seating
        </url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>
            MySeatMap
        </servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>
            /seating/
        </url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>
    <servlet-mapping>
        <servlet-name>
            MySeatMap
        </servlet-name>
        <url-pattern>*.map</url-pattern>
    </servlet-mapping>
</web-app>

And the context entry:

<Context path="/MySeatMap" docBase="MySeatMap" isReloadable="true"
        debug="2" crossContent="true"/>

Anyone see anything (in)obviously wrong?

jbm!