I did step 1, and even went into the jk directory and did "ant native" as well (per
the jk/README.txt)
just in case...

I did step 2...

Step 3 will not work on Apache2 according to the Apache2 documentation
http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/upgrading.html :
"The AddModule and ClearModuleList directives no longer exist. "

As such, I did LoadModule, but that fails...
What OS are you running? I think that is part of my problem.
I am running FreeBSD. It said it couldn't find pthread_mutex_unlock --
so I tried installing pthread support... no luck...

Looking closer, I see that jk/native2/common/jk_mutex_thread.c is talking
about pthreads... and it says that it is a wrapper for apr....  Which is
probably where the problem comes from since the build.properties for the jk
directory was a pain to figure out, due to the fact that apache2 on FreeBSD
has files in /usr/local/lib/apache2, /usr/local/libexec/apache2,
/usr/local/etc/apache2,
/usr/local/www....  I tried to fix the build.properties to match the actual system,
but maybe the build isn't good enough to handle it...  the apr files are in the
same directories listed there, and I modified the build.properties to reflect that.
** So perhaps someone can tell me how to correctly build the "jk" directory
on FreeBSD?

But, in regards to your comment -- I completely agree... Try setting up jk2 with
jni and find out how many examples are out there... NONE that I could find on google.
So, it is all guesswork since the documentation isn't really all there.

Malachi