Yes, your correct. It does set it. But if you have a popup window then it
will not be set. Thanks for the info. I just thought it was the whole
header thing because I've never had to mess with this before. I've used the
refer system for servlets for login stuff, but never really looked at that
side of it. Thanks again.

Thank You,

Justin A. Stanczak
Web Manager
Shake Learning Resource Center
Vincennes University
(812)888-5813

|         |           "Shapira, Yoav"  |
|         |           <Yoav.Shapira@mpi|
|         |           .com>            |
|         |           11/07/02 11:43 AM|
|         |           "Tomcat Users    |
|         |           List"            |

  |       To:       "Tomcat Users List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                          |
  |       cc:
                          |
  |       Subject:  RE: Why does Tomcat not set HTTP_Referer?

You're wrong ;)

>From RFC 2616, the HTTP specification, section 14.36:

14.36 Referer

   The Referer[sic] request-header field allows the client to specify,
   for the server's benefit
<snip>

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

I'm
>getting ready to test it now. I thought this would be something the
browser
>would set it's self, but I guess not. If you want I can send you the
>results of what I find.
>

>Thank You,
>
>Justin A. Stanczak
>Web Manager
>Shake Learning Resource Center
>Vincennes University
>(812)888-5813
>

>|---------+---------------------------->
>|         |           "Craig R.        |
>|         |           McClanahan"      |
>|         |           <craigmcc@apache.|
>|         |           org>             |
>|         |                            |
>|         |           11/05/02 11:11 PM|
>|         |           Please respond to|
>|         |           "Tomcat Users    |
>|         |           List"            |
>|         |                            |
>|---------+---------------------------->

-
>--------------------------------------|
>|
>  |       To:       Tomcat Users List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>|
>  |       cc:
>|
>  |       Subject:  Re: Why does Tomcat not set HTTP_Referer?

-
>--------------------------------------|
>

>On Tue, 5 Nov 2002 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 22:13:39 -0500
>> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> Subject: Why does Tomcat not set HTTP_Referer?
>>
>> I'm trying to setup some links that jump to another site. That other
site
>> checks the header for the HTTP_Referer environment variable. When I
jump
>> from my servlet in Tomcat to this other site this variable is empty.
Why
>> does Tomcat not set this variable? Am I just doing something wrong?
Help.

>The "Referer" header is set by the client, not the server.  Tomcat has
>nothing to do with (and no control over) what your client browser does.
>
>Craig McClanahan
>

>--
>For additional commands, e-mail: <
>mailto:tomcat-user-help@;jakarta.apache.org>
>

>--
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

printed, disclosed or used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended
recipient, please immediately delete this e-mail from your computer system
and notify the sender.  Thank you.