From: Turner, John [mailto:JTurner@;AAS.com]
Sent: Thursday, November 14, 2002 4:39 PM
To: 'Tomcat Users List'
Subject: RE: RE: JK2 Installation

Well, the point I made in my earlier email, which you ignored, is that JK2
IS IN DEVELOPMENT.  As in, "possibly not ready, but maybe it is".  As in,
"possibly not able to do all of the things you want to do at this point in
time, not matter how much you demand that you be able to do them."

So, rather than deal with a post that's over a month old, let's deal with
your questions:

Answer #1: the same way you build it on any other platform.  Typically
that's using ./configure --with-apxs=/some/path/to/apache2/bin/apxs; make;
make install.  Now, if you'd like to post a new message and start a new
thread that describes exactly the problems you are having with  building
mod_jk2.so on FreeBSD, I will do my best to help you resolve them.  Maybe
you've posted them before, but since it's been 2 years since I was on a
FreeBSD box, I probably passed on them because I felt unable to provide help
and didn't want to waste your time.  Apparently I shouldn't have done that,
so if you'd like to start a new thread that details the steps you take to
build the connector and the error messages you receive, I will do my best to
help.  Heck, if you ask nice enough I might even build a FreeBSD box for old
times' sake and see for myself.  But you'd have to ask REALLY nice.

Answer #2: I cannot provide you with an example myself.  I do not use JK2, I
use JK.  I do not use JK2 because, in my opinion, it is not ready to be used
(HINT, HINT) because my goal is production stability over all else, even
nifty features like JNI.  I can point you to doc  URLs that have JK2
working, but none of those are FreeBSD based.  So, you tell me if
non-FreeBSD-based URLs are sufficient, and if they are I will resend them to
you and the list.

Answer #3: Absolutely I can do this, and it comes up on the list DAILY.  If
you're really asking, "can you show me an example of how to use JK2 with
virtual hosts", my answer is "No, see #2 above".

I think you should realize that to a large extent, many of the people on
this list discovered the answers they discovered by experiment and
investigation of the resources available to them, including existing
documentation, this list, and the source code.  If those people can do it,
so can everybody else.  In my own case, I spent over three weeks trying to
get JK working with Tomcat 4.0.4 and Apache 1.3, including trying to build
it.  As soon as I figured out what was going on, I created a HOWTO and
posted it for others, because I was frustrated at having spent so much time
on something that shouldn't take that much time.  The difference is that
some people don't want to do it...they want the easy way, a step-by-step
handholding guide on how to get something to work for free.  That's fine,
and in fact I've created several of those guides myself for anyone to use as
they wish, but that still doesn't stop me from suggesting that the first
step for people having problems is checking the docs and searching the
archives.

Yes, this list needs an FAQ badly.  No, it doesn't have one. Perhaps that
will change in the future, perhaps it won't.  Most JK/JK2 questions are
answered within an hour or two, and believe me, the SAME questions come up
over and over, and yes, sometimes the answer IS in the documentation, even
in its current state.  Not bad for free.  If I were you, I'd get used to
seeing "search the archives" or "RTFM" in reply to commonly (frequently)
asked questions.  I don't think this is unreasonable.

It's open source.  It's free.  If you want to know how something works, or
why something doesn't work, bust out your vi/emacs skills and CHECK THE
SOURCE.  Just think of all the goodwill and positive karma you will generate
if you discover the answer and in turn create a guide or HOWTO explaining to
others what you found.

Have a great day.

John

/release/v2.0.1/doc/index.html#What's the
difference between JK and JK2 ?)...

Thanks for any assistance you can provide,
Malachi