When you mentioned the filters "in my web app", I thought "but I don't use
any filters".  Heck, I don't even know for sure what they are.  But (and
this is a big but), I am using the Tomcat that comes bundled with the Sun
One IDE, and IT was putting both a filter and a valve into the server.xml
file.   I removed these and have been able to proceed.  So it would assume
there is some sort of problem with the Sun One IDE in this regard.

Thanks!

Brad