The connector modules are Apache version sensitive. .20 is pretty old.  I
wouldn't spend a lot of time on this without upgrading to .27 first, but
that's me.

Many, many people (including me) have connected Apache to Tomcat with
mod_jk.  It does work, and for me, it works quite well.

Along with the guides at galatea.com, I have a couple as well:
http://www.johnturner.com/howto.

John