First, the little bit of not being able to stop the server, yeah you can stop it, but the tomcate (according to what I read from your email) implies that it is running as a service. If you want to stop it you need
to open the win2k service and stop it. Set it to manual so that it doesn't run on startup if you need to .

Secondly the documentation bits: I think the version of tomcat you download should contain the correct documentation for that tomcat. If you really need to look at the 4.1 docs take a look here:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/index.html

Are the documentations geared towards Unix or linux gurus? Sounds like a loaded question to me :), but if you asked me it was ok for me.

About the cgi bit, the reference is here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/cgi-howto.html , rather brief and I haven't tried using it yet.

Finally is it statements like this : $CATALINA_BASE/server/lib/ which imply unix or linux like docs :) ? Just substitute $CATALINA_BASE with where you installed tomcat. uh, hope this clears things up a bit.