Howdy,
Here's a simple approach: stick with tomcat only until something
convinces you you need more.  For example, if you have a ton of traffic
and a ton of static files (images, static HTML, etc.), you will notice
performance degrading a bit with more traffic.  Then you can investigate
the benefits of having an Apache front end to handle the static content.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics