We had the same problem while deploying our application running
apache/tomcat.

As I understand it, during the first transaction of any session,
there are no cookies to maintain session information, so tomcat
appends the session ID in the URL.  The problem then is apache
does not recognise session IDs; the dynamic components which apache
normally sends off to tomcat work fine, but normal images and static
html which apache normally serves will result in errors.

Our solution was to strip off the session ID off static content
so that apache can still serve them; we did this by

RewriteRule (.*[gif|jpg|html])\;jsessionid.*$ $1 [R]

There might be a better way to do this as that rule will mean a
"double hit" on apache for every static request containing a
session ID - first hit "GET
/index.html;jsessionid=1E84A042615444560A5E25DF8D277267" which is rewritten
"GET /index.html"

The other solution below means that tomcat will also be made to serve static
content which have the session ID attached (more work for your app server or
more work for your webserver, assuming you have a multi tiered environment).

Kwong.