i had the same problem and the only solution is to path the existing
org.apache.tomcat.util.net.jsse.JSSESocketFactory
ther you have to change
.setNeedClientAuth(clientAuth);
.setWantClientAuth(clientAuth);

if you want i can send you the patched file .class or the completet .jar to your private adress.

i would like to have a setting in the server.xml:
clientAuthOptional = true/false
that would be nice!

Tomcat User wrote:

Hi all.

I work with secure applications (Tomcat 4.1.18 with SSL + client authentication using certificates) and I would like to have client authentication optional because in server.xml file the client authentication is obligatory or not (clientAuth = true or false).

How I can resolve my problem??

Very thanks and regards.