Aaaah. A man after my own heart! Keep it simple.

Brandon Goodin

-----Original Message-----
From: Larry Meadors [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 05, 2003 11:12 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: getResourceAsStream cached by Tomcat's Classloader?

I think you are right, but I always use Thread method because it works
even in a static method - you do not need 'this' for it to work.

I prefer having one way to do this instead of two - that way I can think
less about how to get the CL, and more about the problem it will help me
solve (and I am lazy). ;-)

Larry

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 06/05/03 10:58 AM >>>
>"Are you using this code to get a classloader?
>Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader();
>If not, you are not getting tomcat's you are getting the system one."

Are you sure this is true?

A ClassLoader can have a parent ClassLoader. But, a class does not
maintain
a single copy across all ClassLoader contexts. Therefore, the Class type
can
exist in multiple ClassLoaders. So a Class has a reference to it's
ClassLoader context when it is created. When the
this.getClass().getClassLoader() is called it calls the context that the
class was loaded in. I think you would have to specifically call the
getParent() of the Classloader in order to go up the Classloader chain.
In
this situation I think Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader()
and
this.getClass().getClassLoader() will accomplish the same thing.

Brandon Goodin