From: Val T. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, June 10, 2003 12:46 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Auto Login Using Form Based Authentication

Hi,

I have an atypical situation in that I am trying to auto login users from
another system (a Lotus Domino system) when they connect to my JSP
application.  I am using Tomcat 4.1.18 and have form based authentication
working on it.  I would prefer if the users did not have to explicitly
login, because, as far as they are concerned, it's all part of the same
application.

Here is what I was hoping to be able to do:

The user, who is already logged in on the Domino system, clicks on the link
to my application.  The link contains the user's UserID, as a parameter.
The page they are linking to is in a restricted area, so Tomcat serves up
the login page, which takes the UID parameter, retrieves the related
password from the database, and logs the user in onload.

I have it all working beautifully, EXCEPT that I can't seem to be able to
retrieve the parameter from the URL.  I suspect that it is lost when,
instead of serving up the destination page, Tomcat serves up the login page
instead.  Is there a way to pass a parameter to the login page?  I think the
issue is the fact that you can't just call the login page directly.  Does
anyone see a way around this?

I was thinking that maybe I'd have to link to an index page first, and then
write a cookie, which I'd have to access from the login page.  That seems
like such a round-about way to go, when it would be so much simpler to just
grab a parameter from the URL.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Val