Also,

The <Realm> element can be nested inside one of three
different elements, which has a direct impact on the "scope"
of that Realm (i.e. which web applications will share the
same authentication information):

 * Inside an <Engine> element - This Realm will be shared
   across ALL web applications on ALL virtual hosts, UNLESS
   it is overridden by a Realm element nested inside a
   subordinate <Host> or <Context> element.
 * Inside a <Host> element - This Realm will be shared across
   ALL web applications for THIS virtual host, UNLESS it is
   overridden by a Realm element nested inside a subordinate
   <Context> element.
 * Inside a <Context> element - This Realm will be used ONLY
   for THIS web application

So in your server.xml , your Realm is inside the engine, and *could* be
used for any of the contexts defined there. If only the /hd application
makes use of authentication, then this is fine.  But if you wanted
*only* the /hd application to be *able* to use this JDBC Realm, then
you'd need to define the Realm element inside the context for /hd.  I
think you understand that though, but I'm just making sure.