Someone else on this list had a similar problem with NPE's being thrown
by Coyote.  His developers insisted it wasn't their code, and that it
had to be coyote causing the trouble. I sympathize with that position,
because on that stack trace, and on yours, there is only org.apache
classes throwing Exceptions.

Can you try running Tomcat on 8080, and not use Apache web server as a
front-end?  If that works, and adding Apache back in causes a problem,
then we'll be closer to confirming the cause of the NPE.