I do it quite frequently when i need to debug issues using the staging
database running on a remote host.

ssh -L 3306:localhost:3306 usern...@remoteserver.com

Then i point my locally running code at 127.0.0.1 and the mysql
connection will get carried over ssh.

It's not noticeably slower than a direct connection would be - though
the quality of either will depend on how fast the connection between
you and the server is.

Graham