> First I would like to thank BSAG for developing Tracks. It is a phenomenal
RoR
> app. I had been doing GTD in emacs and that has worked well for me for the
> past couple of years (when I stick to it). However recently at work my
boss
> told he "had no visibility into what I do".

You can also get reports on what you have marked as done :-)

> And I will admit that I have not communicated that well with him or others
> with respect to what I do on any time frame. For all they know I could be
> surfing the internet all day and playing games (I'm not).
> I'm the company's MRP programmer and Systems Admin. One man show
> here.
>
> I decided to look into several web based options. They were either
overkill,
> or just sucked azz in general. That's when I found Tracks.
> As someone who has dabbled in RoR development and enjoys it AND who
> also does GTD, it is Manna from Heaven.

:-)

> After figuring out the quirks of install it and getting it up and running
- like
> install the older 1.8.7 version or RoR rather than the newer, as well as
some

We plan that 2.2 will run on rails 3.x and ruby 1.9.x

> of the quirks of running it Windows, I got it up and running and am very
> pleased. So pleased was I that I sat my boss down and gave him an intro to
it.
> He saw the value straight way and suggested that I show it off to some
> higher ups who also would have a certain appreciation for it. Thanks for
> making me look friggin awesome!!
>
> Alas, I was short sighted and thought I could share projects and tasks and
or
> reassign them to someone else in a multi-user environment. That apparently
> is not the case.

No, Tracks is multiuser, but is oriented to maintaining per-user todo lists.

> I would like to add those features and of course would be more than
willing
> to share them back once added. However only dabbling in ruby or rails does
> not qualify me to do so out of the box. Would someone be willing to give
me
> some pointers as to where to start?

This is not an easy task (you are btw not the first to ask). The datamodel,
security model and functionality was all build around the concept of todos
belonging to one user. Changing this is a major effort I think.

> 1.) Specifically I would like to add the ability to share a project of
task publicly
> or with a specific user or mark it as private.
>
> 2). Be able to create a new task or project or take an existing one and
assign
> it to someone else.
>
> 3.) It would also be nice to share my statistics with others as well....
but that is
> not as important as 1 & 2.

If sharing todos and projects is essential, you could take a look at
Basecamp. Although it is more project management than todo management

Reinier