I'm not sure. Why is that desirable? I would tend to think that "text/plain" is
just that. The text is shown as typed, stars or any other characters.

Interpreting "Markdown" or other "rich text" formatting languages is an
assumption to make for plain text emails.

5 * 6 = 30

How did you know I wanted that bold?

Many clients handle HTML emails with <b>bold</b> tags etc, and that is common
for text that has to be formatted but that entails graphic design issues, bugs,
and viruses which are much more complicated and less reliable to handle.