Gary wrote:
> Rom 6:12 -- Therefore do not let sin reign in your
> mortal body so that you obey its lusts,
>
> the Ap Paul knows that sin is present; sin
> demands to 'reign' in him; therefore, the
> command--think about it--'do not let sin reign'
> is either a radical modification of JCs 'be ye
> perfect' or it is exactly what JC (the King) meant
> by it

I'm not sure what you have in mind about how it would ever be considered
a radical modification of "be ye perfect."  Clearly, we are in agreement
that Paul's statement is right in line with what Jesus taught.  To obey
the teaching to be perfect as our heavenly father is to not let sin
reign in our mortal bodies.  Some think that because we have mortal
bodies, that sin will reign in our life.  It is the idea that we sin
because we are human.  At some point, they think we must succumb to
sin's desire to rule us because we live in a mortal, fleshly body.  Paul
taught us that this was not so and that we should not let sin reign.

Gary wrote:
> so, if JC didn't countenance ALL of his people
> learning to walk with Him in love, there would
> be no sanctification of us--no salvific process
> in which JCs people 'grow', a sound NT word/concept
> throughout

Sanctification (but not begin free of sin) is a process, I agree, but
salvation?  You are losing me on this one.  Why do you see salvation as
a process?

We are freed of the power of sin when we believe upon Jesus Christ.  It
is immediate and instantaneous.  This is what faith and grace is all
about.  Then we begin to grow and perfect holiness in the sight of God,
without sinning along the way.  Jesus grew and matured without sinning,
and so should we when we are in him.  His life showed us that this is
the path of life for us.

Gary wrote:
> relative to NT 'growth', if the Ap Paul expected
> absolute perfection of certain individuals as it
> is employed/twisted here--i.e., twisted to mean
> absolute obedient legal behavioral sinlessness
> at all times and forever right now--there would
> be no NT such as (e.g.) I,II Corinthians where
> believers' sins are 'treated', not abolished--
> they are taught, encouraged to 'grow', not
> to comply..indeed! there would be no bible outside
> of an angel walkin' guard at the gates of Eden

You aren't making much sense to me here.  There is no doubt that some of
the Christians were having a problem with sin.  However, the question is
whether that sin in their life was normal (expected), or whether it was
evidence that they were failing to apprehend Christ through faith.  I
think the sin was evidence of their failing to apprehend Christ through
faith.  They were like Peter on the water beginning to sink, or the
disciples when they could not cast devils out of someone.  If the
Christians were not expected to turn away from sin, then most of these
letters would not make any sense at all.  In these letters, the
Christians are taught not to fellowship with anyone in their ranks that
sin (1 Cor. 5:11), and sometimes sins are mentioned and Paul says, "let
it not be once named among you" (Eph. 5:3).  There is rebuke for not
casting out those Christians who sinned among them (1 Cor. 5:2) and for
allowing sin to continue.  Paul says things like, "Awake to
righteousness, and sin not; for some have not the knowledge of God: I
speak this to your shame" (1 Cor. 15:34) and "sin shall not have
dominion over you" (Romans 6:14).  I can only imagine the kind of
letters Paul would write to Christian churches today, but he would
definitely clean house much like Jesus did in the Temple.  It seems
pretty clear to me that the message of the New Testament is that
Christians are not expected to sin, and so if they do, they need to stop
it immediately or face being cast out of fellowship.  That is the
message.  I don't see the tolerance for sin that you seem to see.  Maybe
you can comment further and share the passages that you have in mind
that summarize the full intent of the New Testament.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.