Terry wrote:
> Possibly you have misunderstood what Paul is saying here?
> The commentaries of both Matthew Henry and John MacArthur
> say, as Paul says, "The  baptism spoken of in this verse
> is not with water.  The outward ceremony can only remove
> dirt from the external parts of the flesh.  The baptism
> spoken of here is a figurative immersion into Christ that
> results in a good conscience."  We know the ark saved Noah
> from God's judgment during the flood, and that we are more
> eternally secure being baptized into Christ than Noah was
> temporarily secure riding out the flood in the ark.  We
> can have a good conscience because we have died to self
> and now live for Him. Water baptism simply testifies to
> what has happened within us spiritually. It is the first
> step we take as we go into all the world.

Hi Terry.  Be careful about commentaries because they sometimes do a
good job of getting you not to read what the Bible says.  Nothing wrong
with reading what they have to say, but be careful to look at the Bible
and see whether the commentary holds up next to it.  In this particular
case, I think these commentaries are leading you astray.

Look at the verses:

1Pe 3:18  For Christ also hath once suffered for sins, the just for the
unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh,
but quickened by the Spirit:
1Pe 3:19  By which also he went and preached unto the spirits in prison;

1Pe 3:20  Which sometime were disobedient, when once the longsuffering
of God waited in the days of Noah, while the ark was a preparing,
wherein few, that is, eight souls were saved by water.
1Pe 3:21  The like figure whereunto even baptism doth also now save us
(not the putting away of the filth of the flesh, but the answer of a
good conscience toward God,) by the resurrection of Jesus Christ:
1Pe 3:22  Who is gone into heaven, and is on the right hand of God;
angels and authorities and powers being made subject unto him.

Verse 20 speaks of water and how it saved Noah.  Verse 21 speaks of
baptism saving us.  Clearly he is speaking of water baptism.  This is
especially clear because he says, "not the putting away of the filth of
the flesh."   This is what water does.  It cleanses the flesh.
Therefore, it seems irrefutable to me that he is speaking very clearly
of water baptism.  Of course, he emphasizes not what happens physically
by water cleansing the flesh, but what happens internally in water
baptism as our hearts are purified and we are baptized spiritually into
the body of Christ.

The problem for most Protestants is that they do not practice water
baptism the way it was practiced in Scripture.  In Scripture, water
baptism is entered into by FAITH, calling upon the Lord, and washing
away your sins, thereby having your conscience purified and cleansed.
Most Protestants, however, out of a knee jerk reaction to Roman
Catholicism, relegate water baptism to a mere symbolic religious
ceremony with no power whatsoever.  Most Protestants do not enter into
baptism with FAITH, but as a mere religious ceremony that is only
symbolic of something they believe has already taken place in their
hearts.  Therefore, while the Bible teaches us to use water baptism as
that which brings members into Christ and into the body of Christ, most
Protestants substitute saying the sinner's prayer, something which the
Bible does not teach as the way believers make their initial profession
of faith in Christ.  Many Protestants have mistakenly substituted a
prayer for baptism. God will work around it best he can, but it would be
much more effective if those harvesting souls would lead the repentant
to the waters of baptism rather than into saying a prayer.  They won't
have as many "converts" doing it the Biblical way, but the converts they
do have will have better counted the cost and will experience greater
power and deliverance in their conversion experience.  They will get on
the fast track to serving God much better in that water baptism is a
much better vehicle for expressing saving faith than reciting a prayer.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.