John S. wrote:
> Sure.  While you are at it, take my clothes and shoes
> as well.  Seriously,  do you mean to exclude the
> statement of those greek principles that present
> to us the idea of continual and continuing action
> in association with present indicative active?
> Are you wanting me to concede that?

No, we already agreed on those points.  What I want you to acknowledge
is that you are unaware of any Greek scholar who translates the passages
in question as you have.

John S. wrote:
> I am having trouble here.  I am not of the belief that
> scholarship in this case, "translates" context.  They
> translate words.  Context determines nuance, does it not?
> It is nuance that BillT  committed to in the recent post
> regarding the faith(fulness) of Christ.  Isn't our problem
> a difference of opinion regarding defined nuance?

Not exactly.  A person learned in Greek is much better able to judge the
context of a Greek passage.  This is because he understands better the
nuances of word order, the use of articles, and numerous other clues
that help him better judge what the write might be trying to
communicate.  Sometimes, however, Greek scholars let their theological
background get in the way, and they introduce that when they expound
upon texts.  We sometimes can spot this when we compare different
translations.  When we have virtually all Greek scholars agreeing upon a
translation, even when they have different theological backgrounds and
different Greek manuscripts from which they work, and then we have
someone else such as yourself arguing that the Greek text actually means
something else, something other than the way all these Greek scholars
have translated the text, then we need something more than what you have
offered us to accept the idea that the Greek gives us better insight
into understanding these passages.

You seem to be arguing now that it is all a matter of opinion and that
one opinion is as good as another. I see it differently.  I hear you
claiming that the Greek reveals a continuing action in these passages,
and yet I cannot find a Greek scholar or translation committee that
seems to agree with you.

John S. wrote:
> If we agree on the verb tense (and I think we do)
> in the two passages in question, then there is much
> to talk about.   Namely, all that information that
> goes into making a sound exegetical decision.

LOL.  John, how can you possibly say this?  Verb tense is not the sole
information for deciding the meaning of a passage.  There are lots of
other factors, including consideration of the context and the author's
known writing style.

Let me give you a modern example by telling you about my going into a
local grocery store.

I go into the store, and I see this girl behind the counter who is very
scared.  I say, "are you ok"?  She tells me that she is afraid of being
robbed.  So I begin to share Christ with her and I lead her in prayer.
After the prayer, she experiences the joy of the Lord and thanks me for
sharing the Lord with her.

Now I have written this entire last paragraph in present tense.  Does
this mean that I am talking about something happening to me right now?
No.  I am talking about an event in the past, but I speak about it in
present tense.  Now if we took your approach of simply looking at tense,
we would come to a faulty conclusion.

Consider also that I could have easily written that entire paragraph in
the past tense.  It would have communicated the same thing, but the
engagement with the reader would have been shifted somewhat.  Still, the
tense is not the all deciding factor here.  The actual thing being
communicated is what is important.  Our words only approximate that real
thing that we attempt to communicate.

John S. wrote:
> Here is the point of difference between the two of us
> as I see it:
> You believe that the present tense in these passages
> does not mean that sin is a continuing issue.
> I am saying that that is exactly the case.
> I do admit that scholarship actually says that present
> indicative active does not necessarily mean continuous
> action -- thus the possiblity of an honest debate.
> How am I doing?

Well, the problem is that you seem to think that one opinion is as good
as another.  You were the one who made the assertion about the Greek
bringing out a different meaning here.  I am challenging you on whether
that is true.  You have come half way over, acknowledging that the text
MIGHT NOT MEAN what you claimed it did.  That is a start.  Nevertheless,
it seems to me that you do not give much credence to my observation that
there do not seem to be any Greek scholars translating these two
passages the way that you have.

I can work with the fact that you recognize that the Greek does not
necessarily communicate in the way that you have shared, but for the
sake of being thorough, and at the same time make one last stab at you
reconsidering your understanding of the Greek, consider the following
translations that I have consulted concerning the translation of Romans
3:23:

(ALT)  For all sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
(ASV)  for all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God;
(BBE)  For all have done wrong and are far from the glory of God;
(CEV)  All of us have sinned and fallen short of God's glory.
(Darby)  for all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
(DRB)  For all have sinned and do need the glory of God.
(EMTV)  for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
(GNB)  everyone has sinned and is far away from God's saving presence.
(GW)  Because all people have sinned, they have fallen short of God's
glory.
(HNV)  for all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God;
(KJV)  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
(LITV)  for all sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
(MKJV)  for all have sinned and come short of the glory of God,
(NASB)  for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
(NIV) for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
(WEB)  for all have sinned, and fall short of the glory of God;
(Webster)  For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
(WNT)  for all alike have sinned, and all consciously come short of the
glory of God,
(YLT)  for all did sin, and are come short of the glory of God--

My point is that if the Greek scholars do not translate the text as you
have, do you really have a solid foundation for telling others that the
Greek actually means what you have told us that it means?  This fact
alone does not mean that you are wrong, but if you are boiling your
argument down to a matter of opinion rather than actual textual or
contextual arguments, then I think this observation does tip the scales
of judgment away from your perspective.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.