Lance wrote:
> THE CONSCIENCE OF HK (yes, it's meant to
> be Humankind) DOES NOT POSSESS VERIDICAL
> ACCESS. ... I'd thought you not the sort
> who "proof-texted".

It was not a "proof-text."  I simply asked you what you thought of John
8:7-9 which seems to indicate that unregenerated men were convicted by
their own conscience.  If you don't have an answer, that is no reason to
accuse me of proof-texting.

My perspective of the conscience is this.  The conscience is the candle
of the Lord within every man.  John 1:9 speaks of Christ being the logos
which lights EVERY man that comes into the world.  How can this be?
Have all heard of Christ?  No.  The light which all men born into the
world touch, is indeed Christ, as manifested within the conscience of
men.

John mentions the conscience of men who did not believe upon Christ.

And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went
out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus
was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. (John 8:9 KJV)

Paul refers to preaching appealing to the conscience of men, and in my
preaching activities, I find this to be true, that what I declare to the
unregenerate, they know deep inside to be true.  The only ones who might
be an exception to this are those who are truly reprobate and given over
to all manner of lust and sin.

Therefore seeing we have this ministry, as we have received mercy, we
faint not; But have renounced the hidden things of dishonesty, not
walking in craftiness, nor handling the word of God deceitfully; but by
manifestation of the truth commending ourselves to every man's
conscience in the sight of God. (2 Corinthians 4:1-2 KJV)

Knowing therefore the terror of the Lord, we persuade men; but we are
made manifest unto God; and I trust also are made manifest in your
consciences. (2 Corinthians 5:11 KJV)

Paul speaks of having a good conscience, which indicates that the
conscience is a standard within man, that either agrees with or
disagrees with the truth.

Now the end of the commandment is charity out of a pure heart, and of a
good conscience, and of faith unfeigned. (1 Timothy 1:5 KJV)

Holding faith, and a good conscience; which some having put away
concerning faith have made shipwreck. (1 Timothy 1:19 KJV)

Holding the mystery of the faith in a pure conscience. (1 Timothy 3:9
KJV)

(For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of
the law shall be justified. For when the Gentiles, which have not the
law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the
law, are a law unto themselves: Which shew the work of the law written
in their hearts, THEIR CONSCIENCE ALSO BEARING WITNESS, and their
thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;) In the
day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to
my gospel. (Romans 2:13-16 KJV)

Paul speaks of the conscience being defiled by culture and sin.

Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot
iron. (1 Timothy 4:2 KJV)

Unto the pure all things are pure: but unto them that are defiled and
unbelieving is nothing pure; but even their mind and conscience is
defiled.
(Titus 1:15 KJV)

If we find passages which speak about the conscience being pure and good
for the righteous, and other passages which speak of the conscience
being seared and defiled by the unrighteous, then it follows that the
conscience is a pathway to the absolute truth of God.  The conscience is
a candle of the Lord, which might become bright and strong by faith and
righteousness, or might become weak, darkened, and dim by unbelief and
unrighteousness.  In other words, the testimony of conscience is not
determined by culture, but rather it is a standard within us that is
affected by how we live, which might be determined by culture.  So I am
not arguing against any notion you have about how culture might affect
conscience, but only showing forth the truth that all men have a
conscience that operates independent of culture.  Whether you are a Jew,
a Muslim, or a Christian, living today or 1500 years ago, the conscience
operates the same.

Another thing to consider here is that all good ultimately comes from
God.

Do not err, my beloved brethren. Every good gift and every perfect gift
is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is
no variableness, neither shadow of turning. (James 1:16-17 KJV)

If we come to understand that all that is good originates with God, then
we should not think that all of mankind is without any spark of God
whatsoever.  Even the wicked do good things for their children.  What is
the source of that goodness, if not God?  Surely, all of mankind has
experienced the spark of the Divine, even before receiving the
revelation that Jesus is the Christ.

Peace be with you.
David Miller, Beverly Hills, Florida.