Bill Taylor wrote:
> He is most emphatically not just saying that he
> was "God" prior to Abraham's existence.

Then we have a different perspective on this passage in John 8 that we
should explore more intimately.

Bill Taylor wrote:
> With his statement, "Before Abraham was,
> I AM" (and it having been made in the context
> of a derogatory suggestion, which had cast
> dispersions [sic] upon the legitimacy of his own
> sonship), he clearly interprets his status as that
> of the divine Son of God the Father; and this prior
> even to Abraham's day.

I'm having trouble seeing this.  I'm not saying you are wrong.  You might be
wrong, but it also is possible that there is some paradigm difference
between us that makes what you perceive obvious to you but not to me.

It seems to me that if Yeshua refers to God being his father, you infer that
this is the same thing as indicating that he is the eternal son of the
father.  Such a conclusion is a non sequitur.  God is his father, sure, and
this makes him God's son, right, but this does not necessarily make him
God's ETERNAL son.  Even if he indicates that he is eternal, this does not
mean that he has eternally been known as the son.

I do not see that this statement, "Before Abraham was, I AM," was said in
the context of an aspersion cast upon the legitimacy of Yeshua's eternal
sonship.  I don't see this context anywhere in the dialogue.  Rather, the
context was whether or not Jesus could have known Abraham.  There is no
mention of the subject of eternal sonship at all as far as I can tell.  The
context is that the Jews claimed Abraham and God as their father, and Jesus
derided them for thinking such.  The basis for his perspective that Abraham
and God were not their father was their rejection of him.  Yeshua expressed
the viewpoint that Abraham accepted him and rejoiced to see his day, so why
shouldn't they, if they were truly Abraham's children.  His comment, "Before
Abraham was, I AM" was in response to whether or not he could have any
knowledge of what Abraham did or did not see concerning "his day."

You seem to acknowledge that the Jews started all this by claiming that God
was their father, but when they did so, surely you do not think they were
asserting that they were the eternal sons of God, do you?  Why then do you
assume that Jesus has eternal sonship in mind when he refers to God as his
father?  He certainly makes an eternal claim in his dialogue here, but it is
not in reference to being a son, but in reference to whether or not he could
have knowledge that Abraham saw his day.

Bill Taylor wrote:
> At this point they again attempt to interpret his sonship
> in purely temporal, human terms: "You are not yet fifty
> years old, and have you seen Abraham?"

Why do you see them interpreting anything about "sonship"?  They were just
challenging how he could know anything about what Abraham thought about his
day.  The term "son" has never been on the table.  Don't you see how you are
reading your theology into the reading of this text?