On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 00:30:43 EST [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
In a message dated 1/13/2005 7:14:11 PM Pacific Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
I'm not sure I understand how you are understanding this passage.  What does "assurance of salvation" or a "guaranteed ticket to heaven" have to do with the effect of the conscience upon the mind?  I have full assurance of salvation, but this description of thoughts (reasonings of the mind) either accusing or else excusing one another describes exactly what goes on among believers, ESPECIALLY ON TRUTHTALK!   :-)
John responds:
You might go back in time a little, David, and acquaint yourself with the thread.  It should be rather obvious what is being said.  John

jt: Is this the start of the thread?:
Izzy: If they never hear about Jesus they are guaranteed a ticket to heaven.

Actually, once again, you missed the point.   No one is saying this.
Romans 2:15 -16 speaks only of a maybe situation  :  "..........their conscience either accusing or defending them  ............"
In Christ, we have the assurance of our salvation  -----------   or, at least, some of us do.  John

Izzy: John, I fail to understand how that differs from what I said above. ‘Splain the difference please.
Does "either accusing or defending" sound like a guaranteed ticket to heaven to you?   Not to me.  As a matter of fact,
not even close. JD

jt: Romans 2:15,16 speaks of born again Gentiles that is people who were not raised under the law of Moses but who now "in Christ" do by nature (their new nature) the things required in the law with their conscience as their guide. When it accuses them they go to the sacrifice and repent.  When it excuses them, they continue on in Christ. John no human being born into the first Adam "DOES INSTINCTIVELY" the things in God's Law outside of Christ.