The Trinity Doctrine existed long before Constantine

50 AD The Huleatt Manuscript

74 AD The Letter of Barnabas

80 AD Hermas

140 AD Aristides

150 AD Justin Martyr

150 AD Polycarp of Smyrna

160 AD Mathetes

170 AD Tatian the Syrian

177 AD Athenagoras

177 AD Melito of Sardis

180 AD Theophilus of Antioch

180 AD Irenaeus

190 AD Clement Of Alexandria

200 AD Tertullian

200 AD Hippolytus

225 AD Origen

235 AD Novatian

250 AD Ignatius of Antioch

253 AD Cyprian of Carthage

262 AD Dionysius

262 AD Gregory the Wonder-worker

305 AD Methodius

305 AD Arnobius

307 AD Lactantius

Facts are stubborn things:
http://www.bible.ca/H-trinity.htm

David Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
DAVEH wrote:
> For anyone to think they were not heavily biased by their RCC affiliation
> stretches the imagination.

I would not argue that. I agree with you that the bias existed for them to
accept the Trinity, just as the bias existed for them to accept
transubstantiation, infant baptism, purgatory, indulgences, the authority of
the clergy, etc.

DaveH wrote:
> As I see it, their break with the RCC was based on their differences of
> opinion. If they had studied the TD and not found it distasteful to their
> beliefs, then there would be no reason to break from that tradition.

Agreed. My point is only that they did not accept the Trinity only because
of their bias. They studied it out pretty thoroughly.

DAVEH:
> I have no doubt that he did study it himself, but his acceptance of it
> does not change its nature.....which as I see it was a politically
> motivated doctrine of obfuscation. I would not be surprised if Calvin
> felt the need to retain it for the same reason. From his perspective,
> anybody teaching against it might be a real threat to his religious
> foundation.

We have been over the history before. Your argument that the Trininty came
about because of politics is faulty. The Trinity Doctrine existed long
before Constantine, and it was politically unacceptable to believe in the
Trinity for generations after Constantine.

DAVEH wrote:
> Whilst the people came from a Protestant background, I don't see why you
> would think the theology did likewise. There were doctrines (TD, infant
> baptism, etc) that were not a part of Biblical Christianity that the RCC
> adopted and some of the Reformers henceforth adopted. I don't see any of
> that in Mormonism.....do you? I'm perhaps too close to LDS theology to
> see such, but if you do I'd appreciate you sharing it.

My comment was that from a HISTORICAL point of view, Mormonism is a branch
of Protestant Christianity. From a theological point of view, Mormonism
differs significantly from the majority of Protestant Christianity.
Nevertheless, there is still quite a bit of commonality. You still preach
Jesus Christ as Savior of the world, you evangelize by sharing the gospel,
you baptize converts, you practice the laying on of hands for ordination,
you have similar meetings in the sense of singing and teaching.