On Sun, Jan 27, 2002 at 05:53:00PM -0600, Sean Foy wrote:
> Suppose I want to modify a kernel parameter, such as SEMOPM.
> I:
>  su
>  cat /proc/sys/kernel/sem
> And see:
> 250     32000   32      128
> So I:
>  echo 250     32000   100     128 > /proc/sys/kernel/sem
> Great, until the next reboot. If I had an old kernel, I'd have to modify
> some source and recompile the kernel. These days I understand the
> preferred method is to put this echo command in an "init script"
> someplace. Can anyone clarify this more for me? Should I put this in my
> rc.local?

That would be the appropriate place on a Redhat system I believe
(I am not familiar enough with Mandrake, but I would guess the
same).

On a Debian system, I would put it in the rcS.d directory.  The
"S" runlevel runs exactly one time when the computer starts.  I
just made a /etc/init.d/local script with exactly the kind of
stuff you describe and then linked it to /etc/rcS.d/S99local.
Some other systems would probably be similar (the filenames may
actually be more like /etc/rc.d/init.d/local and
/etc/rc.d/rcS.d/S99local depending on how your system is set up).

--
Don Bindner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>