Hanson,

> Yes, once C1 or C2 changes O1, or if C3 loads O1 from the original data
> source, the client cache will send the changed/new copy of O1 to RCS, which
> in turn will propagate an invalidation message to all other cache clients.
> Hence all other clients will retrieve the latest copy from RCS upon future
> requests of O1.

I see. So the sideeffect of the setup:

C1 and C2 has O1
RCS does not have O1
C3 asks for O1

is that since O1 is not in C3 or RCS, it is loaded by C3, replicated by
RCS, and invalidated in C1 and C2, even though they might be up-to-date
objects (but RCS doesn't know).

>>in short: does the chache server
>>has to have as much cache space as all the cache clients combined?
>

> It would improve performance if the RCS has more cache space than the
> clients, and ideally has as much cache space as all clients linearly
> combined.  In practice, however, the RCS must avoid the problem of throwing
> an OutOfMemoryException.

I just see now, that one can't set a memory limit for the cache, only a
limit for the number of cached objects. So what happens, if there is not
enough memory?

Another question: do I undestand correctly that the lateral cache lacks
the invalidate-message sending of the centralized remote cache?

Akos