"Stanley,Michael P." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>decisions that were made, are explainable).  I *DO* care about the
>future roadmap!  I'm not throwing mud, I'm trying to help.

>Maybe Jason didn't see this before, maybe he sees it better now, maybe
>it was articulated poorly before, maybe it still needs to be explained
>better, whatever the case lets just keep the discussion technical.  If
>someone doesn't agree, convince them.  If you can't, don't whine, keep
>trying, or fork off ;-)

What I'd like to see

- getting rid of the "SNAPSHOT" concept. This is fundamentally flawed.
  Lets check at every build process whether "there is a newer jar in the
  repository" is bad.

- Make builds completely offline by default. If a jar is missing, die.

- Have a switch doing a "closure" which does explicit download of all
  missing jars at that point. Then you have a set of jars in your local
  repository, which can be used to build.  You have a reliable set of
  jars to be able to test a local change. If the build breaks, it was your
  change and not some developer uploading a newer "snapshot" version while
  you were not looking.

  If something needs a "newer" jar, either run this closure switch again or,
  even better, maybe have

  % maven --update <artifact-id>, e.g. maven --update commons-collections

  which then pulls the most current release from the repository.

- get rid of the "symlink" concept on ibiblio. If you need a newer
  version of the jar, you're willing to wait. Let maven check all existing
  versions of an artifact and "get the newest"

- add a "manifest" file to each jar directory. This is managed at upload
  time and can be downloaded by maven to get md5 sums, current versions
  available and other meta information. Get an upload application / tool.

- finally do a _clear_ definition of the semantics of

    artifactid-a.b
    artifactid-a.b-yyyymmdd-hhmmss
    artifactid-a.b-dev
    artifactid-SNAPSHOT

    look e.g. at the commons-collections directory. There is

      commons-collections-2.0.20020914.015953
      commons-collections-2.0.20020914.020746
      commons-collections-2.0.20020914.020858
      commons-collections-2.1-dev.jar

    which one should commons-collections-SNAPSHOT map to? IMHO
    it maps to the wrong version. 2.1-dev is newer than 2.0.<something>

After you get _these_ things nailed down, you can even start to think
about replicating or clustering maven repositories. I'm really scared,
thinking about a _really_ popular project which is used by thousands
of developers starting to use maven. Think Tomcat.

Jason often talks about how he does not like "half-assed"
approaches. I let it to your imagination what my opinion about the
current maven repository structure is... :-)

        Regards
                Henning

Jason: BTW: Do you have any traffic numbers from the ibiblio repo?

[EMAIL PROTECTED]        +49 9131 50 654 0   http://www.intermeta.de/