>> You don't need anything in your maven.xml to build a war file. In
>> fact, you don't even *need* a maven.xml. The goal war:war is in the
>> existing plugin and will create target/MyStuf.war for you.
>
> Even a project.xml will not be needed, and this is *VERY* cool (at the
> moment the snapshot does not work  withous a project.xml). Goodbye giant
> build.xml

Whacky. project.xml has quite a bit of meta-data about your project (name,
version, dependencies). I can't imagine how you could have anything other
than a very trivial project without one.

>> You'll also need src/webapp/WEB-INF with the "normal" webapp stuff. eg
>> -- web.xml, jboss-web.xml (if applicable), struts-config.xml (if
>> you're doing struts), etc... But you should already have these if
>> you've built war files for webapps before.
>
> Do I need to do this also for /WEB-INF/lib? I would like that maven
> copies the needes jars from the repository, is  this possible?

No, you don't need to hand-build src/webapp/WEB-INF/lib. By specifying the
dependencies as mentioned in your project.xml maven will populate the
warfile's /WEB-INF/lib correctly.

Of course, if you're running without a project.xml I guess you would have
to build it by hand.