Interesting. I looked at their site as well, but I was little more
impressed by thelogocompany's samples. As I said, though, I'm not sure
that we'd get anything better than koorb's logo from either of those
places. (Different, I'm sure... but better is unknown, and subjective
anyway.)

What you get from someone like Jon Hicks is an incredible level of
detail. Look at the Firefox, Thunderbird or even the Rails logo and
you'll see what I mean. Or check out his samples:
http://www.hicksdesign.co.uk/

His logos have very interesting texture and detail to them. (I guess I
don't tend toward the austere...)

One thing about koorb's logo idea that just hit me (bringing in the
other message that wondered about our branding vs. J2EE, for example):
it is a more "fun" logo than the current one. It may actually skew a
little too "fun". (Not that I'm, in general, an opponent of fun, but
we *are* competing for real attention as an application platform.)

Consider koorb's logo:
http://koorb.co.uk/turbogears/variations.html

and the "under the hood" in use today (look on the far right):
http://www.diggdot.us/

Kevin

--
Kevin Dangoor