I think Karl's layout is original and nice, but (personally) I don't
find it quite usable.
For example, I think the front page exposes to many things packed in a
small spaces and it's hard to find what you are looking for.

Most probably my impression it's only related to the relatively dark
(and not too much contrasted) colors used.

Dunno, but maybe after collecting enough layout ideas you should launch
a pool?

Ciao
Michele