Thanks Frank for answering these questions. I have a few more that maybe you or others could offer opinions on.

On Mar 24, 2006, at 12:10 PM, Frank Budinsky wrote:

I don't know much about how the sca properties are configured, but I'll
try to answer your questions anyway.

- As a user what steps do I need to take to provide custom data
values for config properties? In a previous post, I listed an example
of a concrete "Foo" class

Option 1)

Provide an XML schema completxType definition for the Type and let the
generator gen the impl including the deserialization support. In the
future, we plan to also let you provide a Java interface (with
annotations, if necessary) to define the type, and then have the
implementation class generated for you.

The SDO generator will essentially generate the same Foo class that you
showed in the other thread, just with the addition of a base class
(DataObjectBase), and some get/set method overrides that implement
efficient switch-based reflective accessors - used by the generic XML
serializer/deserializer. If we also provide an option to generated a
loader, in the future, we could also provide an option to supress the
generation of the reflective accessors. The resulting class would no
longer be an SDO object in this case - but it would be easy to do as a
value-add feature in our generator (i.e., a -generateSimpleBean option).

Option 2)

Write the Foo implementation class yourself (or maybe generate it with
some other technology - like JAXB) and then simply register it as a
DataType with SDO. Remember that not all objects in an SDO model need to be DataObjects. If you want non-DataObjects, they're modeled as DataTypes,
and you need to provide create from and convert to String methods for
them.
I think option two is the more appealing one for applications developers. I read option 1 to require a schema, which we may be able to do for extensions, but is a bit much to ask application developers to produce. So, I'm curious as to how the conversion methods you mentioned look like. Assume I have the following Java implementation and configuration class:

public class MyComponent{

    @Property
    private Foo; myFoo;

}

public class Foo{

    public Foo(){}

    private String name;

    public setName(String val){
        name = val;
    }

    private Foo foo;

    public void setFoo(Foo val){
        foo = val;

    }

    private MyJaxBThing jaxBThing;

    public void setMyJaxBThing(MyJaxBThing thing){
        jaxBthing = thing;
    }
}

And I want to use the following configuration:

    <component name="myComp>
        <implementation.java class="MyComponent/>
        <properties>
            <v:myFoo>
                    <v:name>my name</v:name>
                    <v:foo>
                            <v:name>my sub name</v:name>
                    </v:foo>
                    <jaxb:jaxBThing>
<!-- other configuration according to JAX-B--->
                    <jaxb:jaxBThing>
            <v:myFoo>
        </properties>
    </component>

I'm assuming I would have to register Foo and MyJaxBThing with SDO? Could someone walk through the steps I would need to do to tell the runtime how to take the particular configuration and deserialize it? Also, what would the string transformation methods look like in this case? I'm also having difficulty pinning down how the JAXB class is instantiated (I'm assuming something needs to access a JAXB factory at some point).

Another really common use case (sorry to keep harping on this one, but I see it all of the time) is support for List and Map. I should be able to specify some type of XML serialized form and have property configuration injected on a component as a List or Map. I'm assuming based on your comments below this can be done to the SDO implementation and we could provide this to end-users without them having to configure something?

One final scenario, related to this, is support for factories for property instantiation. IoC containers such as Spring have a way to pass a factory in to the injection engine to delegate to for creating property instances. Could this be done with SDO?

- What steps do I need to extend the current model? What dependencies
are there?

I'm not sure about this, it depends on the model. Is there a base type in
the XSD for these properties. If so, then I suspect that you need to
define the schema for your extension. If you go with option 1, above, that comes for free. If you want to do things by hand, then I think you could
just treat your extension as unstructured XML (in the open content
extension points in the model). Maybe someone else understands the model
here better than I do?

- Can I use a custom binding technology to produce my model object?

I think I answered this in the option 2) section, above.

- Is it easy to support isolation between classloaders in managed
environments? My impression is that this is extremely problematic due
to required support of .INSTANCE.  If that is the case, what is the
likelihood that the spec can be changed in a timely manner to improve
this?

I don't think I understand where this problem will come up. In the static generated class scenarios that we're talking about, there really shouldn't be any access to .INSTANCE variables. Maybe someone can give a concrete example where this might be a problem, and we can try to figure out the
solution from there.

I have two concrete examples here where I have seen problems in other projects:

1. Assume there are two nested components whose implementation types are loaded by different classloaders. These two nested components have a property that takes a "Foo". The configuration schema is the same but the "Foo" classes are different because they are loaded by different classloaders. Do you think we will run into any issues here?

2. Another concern is around application reloadability. If I have a registered type of "Foo" and the application it was registered by needs to be reloaded, how is it flushed from SDO? Does the container have to call a flush method somewhere?

I think we need to be clear that any shortcomings in the SDO spec should
not be a problem in generated scenarios. Other than saying that the
generated interfaces for SDO types are bean-like, the SDO spec dictates very little about the nature of the generated code. We can fix whatever we
need to.

I appreciate that and you taking the time to help explain this stuff to me. I guess I'm going to be a typical example of someone who wants to extend the container and has a bunch of questions :-)

We really are just trying to leverage the Tuscany generator to do
XML binding here ... our config loader does not need to be a fully
compliant SDO application.

Thanks,
Frank.

I think there may be some issues uncovered with the requirements and
I'm not sure we all understand the advantages/disadvantages of each
approach.  We may be over-analyzing this but the discussion was
getting very heated, there was a lot of disagreement over what the
actual (dis)advantages were, and I wanted to understand (at least for
myself) the broader implications.  I thought stepping back a bit what
help clarify these things. For example, I am personally unclear on
how to do the following with SDO:

- As a user what steps do I need to take to provide custom data
values for config properties? In a previous post, I listed an example
of a concrete "Foo" class

- What steps do I need to extend the current model? What dependencies
are there?

- Can I use a custom binding technology to produce my model object?

- Is it easy to support isolation between classloaders in managed
environments? My impression is that this is extremely problematic due
to required support of .INSTANCE.  If that is the case, what is the
likelihood that the spec can be changed in a timely manner to improve
this?

I thought Jeremy's list was good and would provide a way to "weight"
answers to these and other questions.

Jim