To: <tuscany-dev@ws.apache.org>
Sent: Wednesday, June 21, 2006 7:10 PM
Subject: Re: Tuscany SPI interfaces

[snip]

ant elder wrote:
+1

Where are you doing this and how can we start helping? A long time ago I had a go at something like this for the JavaScript component, the interfaces it had were along the lines of the ones below. probably a bit old now with all
the other changes. One thing I found hard was having a nice way to have
interfaces be either Java classes or WSDL portTypes particularly with
components invoking service references.

I'm not going to do this in the main head stream since this is prototyping and design investigation work. I just created an m2-design directory in my sandbox for this. I'll put the ruby component implementation extension there as soon as it is in a reasonable enough shape.

There's a lot of interesting design and prototyping work where I think you can help: - Review the ruby implementation extension that I'm going to put there and help understand what aspects are missing, where interfaces can be improved, simplified and made more approachable. - Implement a simple binding extension (System.out/System.in or just TCP/IP sockets for example) to help understand the binding extension programming model, and see what's common with implementation extensions. - The whole interface definition space, like you said we need a nice way to deal with Java and WSDL interfaces, we also need to understand how somebody can extend Tuscany to provide support for additional interface definition languages (e.g. a ruby base class or a ruby module). - The interaction with databindings and how a component implementation extension or binding extensions specifies what data representation it can work with.

This is just a short list of things that come to mind, but the list will grow quickly :)