Just to verify:
1- Does your test case class extend junit.framework.TestCase?
2- Does your pom include the proper parent, eg:
    <parent>
        <groupId>org.apache.tuscany.sca</groupId>
        <artifactId>tuscany-sca</artifactId>
        <version>1.0.1-incubating</version>
        <relativePath>../../pom.xml</relativePath>
    </parent>

AFAICT, you don't need to include maven-surefire-plugin in your
pom unless you need to configure it, and you only need the test
scoped junit dependency.